Save The Rail March - Ken Crispin on mic

Rail protest ‘memorial march’

Original Article : Gisborne Herald Monday March 30th 2015

IT was a small protest march on Saturday but there will be another hopefully bigger one in five to six weeks as the fight to save the Gisborne-Napier railway line continues.

About 50 people took to the street on Saturday morning with their placards and slogans in a spirited march along Grey Street to the railway station.

“This is more a memorial march for the loss of the rail and it comes at an appropriate time when negotiations on the future of the line are taking place,” said march organiser Ken Crispin.

“Gisborne District Council — what do we want ? . . . Save the rail!” he blasted out on the megaphone.

“Government — what do we want ? . . . Save the rail!

“KiwiRail — what do we want ? . . . Save the rail!”

Mr Crispin said while it was a small turnout, he was not disappointed.

“There will be another march in five or six weeks and we hope to get some MPs here for it.

“We only organised this one a week ago as a solemn statement of our sadness at the loss of the railway line.

“When we lost it we lost part of our life. The line is in our soul.”

Caz Denby was among those marching

“It’s history and it’s a practical thing to get produce in and out of Gisborne to free up the roads.”

Paul Corrin: “We can’t afford to lose it. It’s an important linkage to the rest of the country.”

Wayne Rickard: “The line should be categorised and given status under the Heritage Act because of its historical significance.”

Stuart Clark: “Gisborne needs the rail. If we don’t get it repaired we will lose it completely, and it’s not just about Gisborne to Napier. It benefits the whole country”.

Deborah Loew-Black from Switzerland was back in her home town on holiday, heard about the march and wanted to be part of it.

“I grew up with the railway line and it’s so important to get public transport going again on it.”

Nick Griffin: “As a young Gisborne person I see a need for the line for the future, especially with the uncertainty over oil availability and prices.

“It could also play such a big part in future cruise ship visits.”

Francis Raihania said he was there to support “future opportunities” for the area. “It gives businesses another viable option to get their goods out of the district.”

Train-spotter May Ruby was another to march and she summed it up for many when she said: “I’m missing the trains coming here. If it wasn’t for that hole (in the line), they would still be coming.”

Mayor Meng Foon has written to Hawke’s Bay Regional Council chairman Fenton Wilson supporting the HBRC request for KiwiRail to provide time for the completion of the lease of the line to the HBRC. Ken Crispin said the HBRC/NGR(Napier-Gisborne Railway) group have a final report completed supporting their lease proposal.

“They are ready to submit it to KiwiRail and we encourage KiwiRail to do the right thing by the Gisborne-Hawke’s Bay communities and return rail services.”

f1d70dd0501d1f0b71088e51e00e8064cc175a26_620x311

Group wants rail action

Original Article : NZ Herald Monday 30th March 2015

Supporters of the Napier-Gisborne railway line’s re-opening rallied together for a “save the rail” march in Gisborne at the weekend.

Ken Crispin, manager of the Citizens Environmental Advocacy Centre’s East Coast Transportation Project, said about 90 people marched to the railway station on Grey St, Gisborne, on Saturday, in a show of support for rail services to resume on the mothballed line.

“Though [the march] was only attended by 90 people it was a passionate event with placards everywhere, and solid support for our rail services to resume,” Mr Crispin said.

The line was closed in 2012 following a washout and the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council approached KiwiRail last year to discuss the possibility of leasing it to set up a short-haul freight service.

An initial council study concluded there was probably a viable business case for running a log transport business between Wairoa and Napier Port. But this month KiwiRail said it would not extend a March 1 deadline it set last year to finalise a lease agreement with the council.

“Gisborne, Wairoa and Hawke’s Bay people need to send the strongest message possible to central government ministers, that the rail is a billion dollar strategic asset essential for the district to retain, with direct government assistance needed to re-open it.”